Saturday, 12 January 2013

Witches Abroad

Reading 'Witches Abroad' by Terry Pratchett now! Some thought-provoking bits:

p15: It's a big responsibility, fairy godmothering. Knowing when to stop, I mean. People whose wishes get granted often don't turn out to be very nice people. So should you give them what they want - or what they need?

p236 They were the ones that stories were never about. Stories are not, on the whole, interested in swineherds who remain swineherds and poor and humble shoe-makers whose destiny is to die slightly poorer and much humbler. [I guess when I face setbacks, I should remember that I'm already very lucky to be able to achieve my dreams to a large extent, and not bemoan the unfairness of life.]

p240 ...happiness is not a natural state of mankind, and is never achieved from the outside in. [Yeah, I think it's in the mindset! I want to make sure I always think positive. Nonetheless, that doesn't mean I will see the world through rose-tinted glasses, I need to see it as it is.)]

A key message of the book was that you can't force other people to lead lives in a way that you think will make them happy. Happiness has to be found by each individual instead. It has to come from within. I guess I should never try to force people into something conventionally thought to make ppl happy, but rather help them find out what will make them satisfied with their lives. Yay.

1 comment:

  1. yay! i like your quotes. okay im going to put this in my reading list/kindle (:

    ReplyDelete