So I was introducing myself as JY for the first day. But after telling that to ppl who already know me before, and thinking about it, I realised Jia Yun sounds SO MUCH BETTER. So I've been telling ppl whom I introduced myself as JY to to call me jia yun instead and they REFUSE just to laugh at me -.- Haha but someone said luckily at least I'm not JK.
What's your name?
JK
Sorry?
Just jk, jk
Huh? So what's your name?
Hee, hee, jk!
LOL win XD
My roommate and I have very similar interests! We have like the same favourite in super junior!!! LOL. And we both read books on history/politics/random stuff hahaha I WENT TO THE SCHOOL LIBRARY TODAY!!! I love it XD The books there are the cool good books not like trashy vampire novels hahaha. I borrowed a tale of two cities, and a history of middle east, and a pulitzer winner but I'm not sure I have time to read them haha.
Anyway, I noticed the Singaporeans kinda stick together. In fact, before we came here, nearly all the seniors told us they tried to make friends with the europeans but just stuck to singaporeans after a while because they found that they're the most similar in terms of culture and can click the best. But, maybe, it's a two-way thing. My hall senior was saying it's really hard to make friends with the Singaporeans in her course cos they all just stick together. I think that's kind of a pity. I was talking to my roommate about making friends here and she was saying one of the benefits of a degree here is how global it is here, which is useful for networking. I agree with that, and feel that while closest friends will come from Singapore, I should not give up on actively making friends with ppl of other nationalities to get the most out of my time here. And in fact, it's not that hard. The international students I've met are really friendly, maybe because they understand how it's like to be a foreign student. And talking to many of the southeast asians (from malaysia, myanmar, brunei) especially is actually really like talking to Singaporeans. Okay yeah networking doesn't sound good, it sounds like you're using people sometimes, but after council (I learnt that while chasing portfolio may be at times meaningless and yucky, you still have to do it to do more of what you want to do) I don't think it should be dismissed cos it may help you help a lot more ppl. Of course, with the people I meet, I will try to make genuine friends, and not be a hypocrite (that's just ew, and I hope I stay like that this way). So yeah, quite glad I'm in this hall with only 1 other singaporean whom I barely see. I get to make friends with the other ppl, which is awesome :)