Tuesday, 25 December 2012

Elitism

Yesterday I had a family gathering, and realised as I was talking to my relatives that they probably think we're elitist and think we're better than them, partly because of our background and because my sisters and I were kinda shy to talk to them in the past. And I realised ppl might tend to think I'm elitist because of my background/'achievements'. And in fact, I probably was. So I sincerely apologize if I've ever said anything elitist that made anyone upset :( But since like secondary school I've known that results/achievements are absolutely irrelevant to how much someone is worth and how much I respect people is definitely not in any way proportional to their results. I may express respect for people who do well because I respect hard work, but that is just one trait I have respect for, and I respect people for many other things as well. People have different strengths anyway. And this doesn't mean that I don't respect people who don't work hard, because playing hard is another thing I need to learn. Also, I recognise that I don't have the right to think that my 'achievements' make me better than others, because I'm lucky to be born with some potential and to have had various factors to keep me going. But I think I slip up occasionally (sorry!) and say/behave inappropriately, so I need to make sure I keep trying not to be elitist. I just hope that my 'being elitist' doesn't hurt any of my relationships :O