I watched the TED talks by Maz Jobrani (an Iranian-American stand up comedian) a couple of days ago! Lol they were super funny can go watch if you're looking for a good laugh (and to learn a bit more about the world)! It was quite interesting how he said has a mission in his work - to break the stereotypes and change the perceptions of Middle Eastern men. I think he actually does quite a good job of doing that; he certainly made me re-evaluate my mental image of Arabic ppl. Links below!
http://www.ted.com/talks/maz_jobrani_make_jokes_not_bombs.html
http://www.ted.com/talks/maz_jobrani_a_saudi_an_indian_and_an_iranian_walk_into_a_qatari_bar.html
It is pretty awesome to have a greater mission in whatever you're doing. Even more awesome if what you're doing is your passion. :D
I think the concept of breaking stereotypes is quite interesting. Every single person has the chance to break or perpetuate a stereotype of a group they belong to. Over here, I might be classified most as an 'Asian girl' - shy, quiet, studious. In Singapore, I think I might typically be perceived to be a member of the 'elite'. I guess how I carry myself is really important, because people tend to fit others into stereotypes rather quickly. On the other hand, I need to try not to stereotype others as well (e.g. ppl from a specific country) because few rules can describe everyone in a certain group.
One of the comments some reporter made on Jobrani was that 'He can root out the humor in just about any subject or situation.' That's really cool, I want to do that too! :D
I've been reading this book called 'Handbook of Energy Engineering' too! It's quite interesting! Well, a bit dry, but cool because it covers a range of issues beyond engineering - policies, economics, accounting, technicalities - that engineers need to go. I like how engineers need to know more beyond engineering itself.
No comments:
Post a Comment